The STEM Sailing project kicked off on Friday with a presentation from a man that has traveled the world pursuing his dreams. Dr. Ian House, an engineer from Mercury Marine gave a presentation on taking full advantage of opportunities in life, of saying "yes" as openings are presented, of a life (career) of "messing about in boats", and how a kid who's good in math from Brighton, England winds up as Director of Environmental Engineering for Mercury Marine and Sea Doo.
A few of his life lessons included:
- Be open minded and adventurous
- Take advantage of good opportunities
- Think long-term when given an opportunity
- Try to fulfill your dreams
- Money isn’t everything
- Teaching improves your knowledge